This treatment is directed towards two long-term goals: The first is abstinence from alcohol and/or other drugs. The second is quality of life, with optimum physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. To reach these long-term goals, the method works with short-term goals, such as:
- Helping the addicted person and his or her family to recognise the illness and its impact on their lives.
- Helping the addicted person admit that he or she needs help.
- Helping to convince the addicted person that he or she will be able to lead a constructive and full life, with an illness that requires ongoing treatment.
- Helping the addicted person identify the behaviour that he or she needs to change in order to live with the illness in a positive and constructive way.
- Helping the addicted person to translate his or her understanding into action, in order to develop a different lifestyle. The Minnesota Model includes a Continuing Care programme, developed and structured as a support network for the person in recovery.
Our treatment is complemented with Mindfulness, Nutritional Advice and Coaching techniques.
Length of Treatment
Not everyone requires the same level and intensity of care, which is why we adapt our treatment to the needs of the individual. We recommend however attending therapy sessions for four to five days per week for a minimum of six months; this schedule includes weekly individual therapy sessions. A lighter schedule of two to three therapy sessions per week is recommended during the subsequent six months. Thereafter ongoing treatment is subject to individual assessment.
Support for Family and Partners
Where there is an addict, there are usually at least three or four other people who are also suffering. These family members and partners need to understand the illness and know how to act, both to protect the family and for their own health. It is extremely helpful, and deemed a necessity, for the families to receive treatment as well as the addict. To this end we offer a support group for families at least once per month.